Banks and other institutions are pulling HARD credit inquiries on their customers with ever-increasing frequency. Whether its because of 9/11 and the “Know your Customer” regs, or just making sure you arent a fraudster or deadbeat, doesnt really matter, the fact is that its being done regularly.
Most people usually expect hard credit inquiries to occur when they apply for credit, a cell phone, a job, an apartment, or insurance. And these places usually disclose that a credit report is being pulled. Thus, we usually take steps to minimize the # of inquiries.
However, many people are surprised (and displeased) to find out their credit reports have been dinged with HARD inquiries when opening DEPOSIT accounts, such as checking and money market accounts.
- American Express Co. pulled Experian for a One Financial account without margin (combination brokerage/savings).
- Ameriprise Insurance (division of American Express) – for car insurance quote (Equifax)
- AT&T; pulled Transunion for current customer moving from CA to OH initiating “new” landline
- ATTWS – Equifax
- Bank of America pulled Trans Union for a checking account.
- Bank of America pulled Trans Union for a CD account opened online.(3/20/2007)
- Bank of America pulled Experian for a checking account. (8/29/06)
- Bank Of America – Pulled a hard enquiry after applying *only* for savings account.
- Bank Of America – Pulled a hard enquiry on Experian for MM savings account 4/2007
- Bank of Atlanta
- Bank of New York pulled Experian for a checking account and a savings account.
- BB&T; pulled Equifax for a checking account.
- Brookline Bank pulled Experian for a checking account.
- Brown & Co. pulls a hard one for EACH account that you open with TransUnion.
- Catholic Federal pulled TU for new membership and opening of new checking.
- Charles Schwab Bank pulled Equifax for opening new checking and investor account (without margin option)
- Charter One Bank pulled Equifax for a checking account under the name St. Paul Bank Corp.
- Chase Manhattan Bank pulled Trans Union for a checking account.
- Cingular Wireless pulled Equifax.
- Citibank pulled Equifax (for opening 6-month CD)
- Citibank pulled Trans Unions for a checking and savings account opened at the same time.
- Citibank pulls hard inquiry for opening e-Savings account
- Citizens – checking – Equifax
- Clackamas Community Federal Credit Union – hard inquiry for savings and CD accounts
- Comcast cable TV and HSI
- Costco AMEX car insurance ran a Hard Inquiry on me
- Countrywide (stopped pulling sometime in 2007)
- DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) pulls a hard inquiry from Equifax when applying for membership.
- Dollar RENT A CAR (see Thrifty below)
- Ebank – checking – Equifax
- Everbank – pulled Experian for a Money Market Account, as well as for a checking one.
- Fidelity – LionBank (Not Fidelity Investments)
- Financial Center Credit Union
- Fifth Third – Opening Checking Account
- Flagstar Bank – Checking – Pulls TU
GMAC Bank – pulled TU for their MM savings account
HARRIS BANK — CD
- Indiana Members Credit Union
- ING Direct – When you open Electric Orange checking account, they will hard pull Equifax to determine the overdraft credit line limit for you. No hard pull for opening Orange Savings account.
Johnson & Johnson by Yale & Associates on Experian- employment
- Local gas & electric utility (We Energies – Wisconsin)
- Local Honda dealer- check + 5K credit card
- Local Nissan dealer (Coral Springs Nissan Auto Mall) pulled a HARD one when I browsed their inventory
- Local Toyota dealership- cash transaction
- Marquette National Bank — checking, savings, CD and safe deposit box
- Meadows Credit Union pulled Trans Union for a checking account.
- Mechanics Bank (sf) did hard pull from Equifax for a checking account.
- Muriel Siebert & Co. pulled Experian for a brokerage account without margin.
- National1St Credit Union – When opening an account/CD etc – Experian had pull
- NASA Federal Credit Union – when applying for membership – Equifax hard pull
- People’s Gas
- Pentagon Federal Credit Union
- Presidential Bank pulled Equifax for a checking account under the name Presidential Savings.
- Principal Bank pulled Equifax for a checking account, also pulls for money market account according to CSR.
- Provident Central Credit Union, Bay Area, CA – When opening an account – Experean hard pull
- Salem Five – pulled Equifax for a checking account.
- Schwab – hard pull on Equifax for a checking account.
- SCOTTRADE – hard pull on Equifax
- Sprint – Long Distance for having them as the LD provider on a home phone.
- State Farm Auto Insurance – for getting an auto insurance quote.
- Suntrust – pulls an Equifax for opening of a checking account
- T-Mobile for cell phone service on Transunion or Equifax
- TD Waterhouse/Ameritrade pulled Equifax on an exisiting customer to open IRA
- Thrifty RENT A CAR did hard pull prior to rental
- UFBDirect.com – 3.30% on High Yield Money Market Savings
- US Bank ( online / phone only. soft pull when opening in branch)
Verizon – landline, DSL, or VoIP (on Equifax or TransUnion). Also for new cellphone account.
- Wachovia-Trans union (or Equifax in some cases) for opening a checking account
- Wanigas CU – Pulls to become Member, Pulls for Checking – Experian
- Wells Fargo (When ever you make any changes like adding additional account holder, change address on your account etc, their Credit department is making a hard enquiry on Experean, I fought with them to get it Re-Classified as a soft pull, be very careful with Wells Fargo). Add this also, i change my account from regular to all advantage account (have free bill pay, checks etc) and a hard pull.